Sunday, November 15, 2015

This I Believe

A true friend will not try to change you because they accept who you already are.  I believe that true friends allow you to discover who you are as a person. When you are surrounded by people who truly care about and accept you then you can accept yourself.  Friends allow you to thrive in you strengths and improve upon your weaknesses. These people allow you to find a safe place to be yourself.
            In middle school I surrounded myself with people who were not the best of friends. At the time I knew I was unhappy but I though that was just how it was.  I thought that no ones friends completely accepted them. I thought that no one ever felt absolutely comfortable with their friends. I did not believe it was possible for anyone to feel loved by their friends. I was confused and I had no idea what I wanted for myself. I did not know where I wanted to go to high school or what I wanted to do after. I did not know who I was or at least I could not admit it.
            Once I got to high school I meet new people. I learned that these new friends had a lot more in common with me than I realized when I had first met them. I think I sort of found part of myself in them. They were accepting, loving, and they made me feel comfortable to be myself. These people supported me and brought out the best in me.
            I am so grateful to have such amazing people in my life. My friends make me feel like I have somewhere to belong. They give me a home where I can laugh or cry. I know that they will not leave me if I am having a bad day. They let me express how I am feeling me and they always encourage me to do what makes me happy. I try my best to do the same for them in return.

            Everyone puts on masks each day in front of different people. We feel like we have to pretend a certain way to please people. Everyone needs to have friends that they can be themselves with. Friends can help you be happy with who naturally are. I am able to be myself with my friends because they are the ones who help me discover who I truly am.

No comments:

Post a Comment